The car was powered by an electric motor and its price was competitive considering the avant-garde technology which characterized the car and the era in which it was made.
George Milburn founded his company around 1850 and, at the start, devoted his efforts to the production of carriages and transport wagons under the name of Milburn Wagon Company. Before 1910, the company produced bodies for Ohio Electric and other car manufacturers, whilst production started on the small Light Electric, proposed in Coupé and Roadster versions.
The car was powered by an electric motor and its price was competitive considering the avant-garde technology which characterized the car and the era in which it was made. Its range was about 80 km and it could reach a maximum speed of 25 km/h in the version with Coupé bodywork and 30 km/h in the Roadster version. The Touring model was introduced in 1918, characterized by having the driving seat in the open air with covered rear seats for passengers, whilst in 1920 some Taxi models were made for cities including St. Louis; later, in 1922, electrically-powered trucks were also marketed, but their considerable size led to only very short journeys being possible, which limited their sales.
Although in its eight years of existence the brand produced various models, the best-selling and most well-known was the Light Electric, with about 4,000 examples estimated as being produced. Production of Milburn branded vehicles ceased in 1923.
Text by Tommaso Lai
Translation by Norman Hawkes
Copyright © Cars Forgotten Stories. All rights reserved.